United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 20-06-2024, 01:38 PM
suedeshoes

Default England thread

As an Englishman I'd like the England team to win. There's a lot associated with the England team that's it's hard to like but I'm happy to live in a country governed and populated but a lot of things it's hard to like.

Harbouring grudges from 50, 30, 20 years ago is the same mentally as the 'German bomber' brigade.

Be part of the change.

Come on the 3 lions!

Unread 20-06-2024, 01:44 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Just posted similar in the other thread .

“We’re singing for England… En-ger-land…” 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Unread 20-06-2024, 02:01 PM
no fun

I look at the England fans and I think “do I want them to be happy?”

The answer is no

And therefore I want them to lose every game

I’m sure there are some decent England fans, but….meh

Plus the national anthem always stirs my anti England feelings

Unread 20-06-2024, 02:06 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
I look at the England fans and I think “do I want them to be happy?”

The answer is no
Could say the same about loads of United fans.

They don't represent me though.

And it's not them playing.

Unread 20-06-2024, 02:08 PM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic View Post
Just posted similar in the other thread .

“We’re singing for England… En-ger-land…” 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
https://youtu.be/Re4aDJL3heA?si=cLddwXJUsZi7dKI9

Unread 20-06-2024, 02:09 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes View Post
Could say the same about loads of United fans.

They don't represent me though.

And it's not them playing.
Yes but you (and I) have an emotional attachment to Manchester, and united, which overrides the negatives

I have no such emotional attachment to England as a football team or a Country, and so the many many negatives will always win the day

Unread 20-06-2024, 04:27 PM
Finport Red

Always find it a bit odd, people who are English not wanting England (in whatever competition) to do well.

I get the whole thing about the football fans being morons, but there are plenty in every crowd of fans, and they’re always the ones the media focus on - the jesters hat, crusader gear, full kit types. They’re never going to focus on a bunch of fellas who are ‘too cool’ to wear their team’s colours.

I get too the hatred for the plastic chair chuckers and their antics, but having them about the place should only make you despise them.

I’m not English, though a good part of my family comes from there originally. I’ve always wanted England to do well in tournaments and, despite Gareth Southgate’s existence making it terribly to difficult to do so over the past few years, I’d like them to do well this time round too.

Unread 20-06-2024, 04:51 PM
Patty_b

Normally don't care or want them to lose depending on who the opposition is.

But feel different for these Euro's, backing them all the way. I don't despise the squad as much as normally do.

Unread 20-06-2024, 05:02 PM
Sparky***

I like England to do well. But I don’t get anywhere near Carried away with it.

Unread 20-06-2024, 05:03 PM
Medlock

Wish no ill will on them at all. Just don't care. Not even a tiny bit. I remember when they lost in semis a few years ago. Couple of minutes later was thinking about something else. Compare that to the fact I was still buzzing my tits off about the scousers losing the champions league final a good few weeks earlier after Bale's overhead kick and Karius being shit

Unread 20-06-2024, 07:23 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky*** View Post
I like England to do well. But I don’t get anywhere near Carried away with it.
The thing is most England fans are like this. It's the noisy few that spoil it for everyone.

Unread 20-06-2024, 07:43 PM
suedeshoes

Not played well. Top of the group.

Unread 20-06-2024, 08:39 PM
dunk

The sooner Shaw and Kobbie are on their holidays, the better.

Unread 20-06-2024, 08:44 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk View Post
The sooner Shaw and Kobbie are on their holidays, the better.
Shaw's been on holiday since December mate

Unread 20-06-2024, 08:50 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medlock View Post
Wish no ill will on them at all. Just don't care. Not even a tiny bit. I remember when they lost in semis a few years ago. Couple of minutes later was thinking about something else. Compare that to the fact I was still buzzing my tits off about the scousers losing the champions league final a good few weeks earlier after Bale's overhead kick and Karius being shit

I’m the same. I don’t actively want them to lose, and at times have been pleased when they’ve won, but I just don’t feel it. Haven’t wildly celebrated an England goal since I was 13. If they lose I just shrug. The hype puts me off, that and suddenly supporting the same team as all the bitter ABU @#%&!s. No thanks.

I think it’s international football in general though, I enjoy watching the games but basically don’t particularly care who actually wins the thing.

Unread 20-06-2024, 09:14 PM
dunk

Quote:
Shaw's been on holiday since December mate
Well, yeah, but away from England and Southgate, getting ready for August would be better.

Unread 20-06-2024, 09:27 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk View Post
Well, yeah, but away from England and Southgate, getting ready for August would be better.

Unread 20-06-2024, 09:41 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg View Post

I’m the same. I don’t actively want them to lose, and at times have been pleased when they’ve won, but I just don’t feel it. Haven’t wildly celebrated an England goal since I was 13. If they lose I just shrug. The hype puts me off, that and suddenly supporting the same team as all the bitter ABU @#%&!s. No thanks.

I think it’s international football in general though, I enjoy watching the games but basically don’t particularly care who actually wins the thing.
Exactly, these are my thoughts on it. I was gutted back in the 90s when i was a child if England lost at a major tournament but these days they inspire nothing but mild annoyance if they lose. I don't find any of the players particularly annoying now Henderson isn't there and I can just ignore the braindead fans because i don't go to pubs full of them or any england games.

I think it's a bit weird that people get so vehemently wound up by them and people driving about with flags on their vans or whatever. If that's what they want to do, let them get on with it, you're under no obligation to join in

There's a lot of "look at how much i hate england, me. I hope they lose eleventy nil and lots of people cry" posturing that goes on and it's just as tedious as people who lob pints in the air and stick flares up their arses.

Unread 20-06-2024, 09:46 PM
Medlock

Quote:

I think it's a bit weird that people get so vehemently wound up by them and people driving about with flags on their vans or whatever. If that's what they want to do, let them get on with it, you're under no obligation to join in

There's a lot of "look at how much i hate england, me. I hope they lose eleventy nil and lots of people cry" posturing that goes on and it's just as tedious as people who lob pints in the air and stick flares up their arses.
Also not a fan of United fans from Ireland, Scotland etc. who slag off England and then go full on brave heart kilt (or equivalent) when "their" country's playing.

Unread 20-06-2024, 10:09 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medlock View Post
Also not a fan of United fans from Ireland, Scotland etc. who slag off England and then go full on brave heart kilt (or equivalent) when "their" country's playing.
Wild eyed nationalism is absolutely fine as long as it's not English, mate. Come on you should know that.

It's the £#%&!ing English obsessed with singing about war

Not like scotland who's national anthem is about, er, war.