Or Jem…

Unread 10-06-2024, 10:53 PM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath View Post
World Cup winning centre midfielder

To deny his talent is just churlish

In the modern game a middle 3 of him, Keane and Scholes would be unbeatable
That 3 would have been as good a midfield as any in the history of football (genuinely).

Unread 11-06-2024, 01:22 AM
Neo

Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878 View Post
Neo to drop a pogba gif in 3,2,1...

Vieira was incredible, tbf. I watched a full 90 minute repeat of the United vs Arsenal game at Old Trafford in September 2003 recently; the game where Ruud missed the pen and got assaulted at full time by that Arsenal mob.

Vieira obviously was sent off towards the end, but the game reminded me of how good he was. Such a physical presence in their midfield, put himself about, but his passing was also consistently top quality and purposeful. Wasn't anywhere near his best game either. Keano won Man of the Match, btw.

As an aside, as good as the Arsenal man was, Paul Pogba had more natural talent in his left toe than Vieira had in his entire body. Lacked the application and mentality at times, but there's no denying what a wondrous sight it was to see PP in full flow, pirouetting and pinging pinpoint passes at all distances. What a player.

Would make one helluva Overlap guest, tbf.

Unread 11-06-2024, 05:06 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post

Vieira was incredible, tbf. I watched a full 90 minute repeat of the United vs Arsenal game at Old Trafford in September 2003 recently; the game where Ruud missed the pen and got assaulted at full time by that Arsenal mob.

Vieira obviously was sent off towards the end, but the game reminded me of how good he was. Such a physical presence in their midfield, put himself about, but his passing was also consistently top quality and purposeful. Wasn't anywhere near his best game either. Keano won Man of the Match, btw.

As an aside, as good as the Arsenal man was, Paul Pogba had more natural talent in his left toe than Vieira had in his entire body. Lacked the application and mentality at times, but there's no denying what a wondrous sight it was to see PP in full flow, pirouetting and pinging pinpoint passes at all distances. What a player.

Would make one helluva Overlap guest, tbf.
He was far better ìn the Cup game at Old Trafforf when Giggs missed the sitter. He absolutely bossed it that day.

Unread 11-06-2024, 08:36 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao View Post
He was far better ìn the Cup game at Old Trafforf when Giggs missed the sitter. He absolutely bossed it that day.
Seems to recall he and Pires taking the piss that day, was a hard watch. I thought we had no chance of winning the league that year after that game. Mad.

Unread 11-06-2024, 08:39 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
Seems to recall he and Pires taking the piss that day, was a hard watch. I thought we had no chance of winning the league that year after that game. Mad.
Yep, they beat us fairly easily that day.

Unread 11-06-2024, 08:42 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
Now Pires was overrated. Seem to recall Arsenal fans saying he was better than Giggs. Maybe the first player I can remember really taking the piss with diving too.

Unread 11-06-2024, 09:16 AM
Coracao

Pires was an excellent player. One of the reasons I hated him, amongst other things.

Unread 11-06-2024, 09:19 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Pires was an excellent player. One of the reasons I hated him, amongst other things.
Yeah for the record not saying he was a bad player, he was obviously brilliant at times. Just overrated at the time imo.

I think Figo was the guy I clocked diving first but Pires definitely was bad for it too.

Unread 11-06-2024, 09:21 AM
Coracao

Don't really think he was overrated at all tbf. He was one of the better players in the league for a few years.

Unread 11-06-2024, 09:22 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Don't really think he was overrated at all tbf. He was one of the better players in the league for a few years.
My memory may be skewed by going to school in NE London.

Unread 11-06-2024, 09:40 AM
Mou Mou Land

Couldn't stand Pires on the field, but he went way over the top to be kind to a friend of mine once, so my view is more balanced a little maybe.

Unread 11-06-2024, 10:24 AM
est.1878

Parlour under rated for me Clive. Berkamp over rated but still magnificent, anyone who can't get on a plane for Cl games can't be considered truly top tier

Unread 11-06-2024, 10:31 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly View Post
My memory may be skewed by going to school in NE London.
Just a bit, Arsenal fans are absolute £#%&!ing #@&%!s.

However, Pires played ~200 league games for Arsenal & scored in 62 & assisted 40+ basically means he was effective for a goal or assist every other game. That's £#%&!ing unbelievable. Classy player, that Arsenal side were quality & thankfully pushed us to be even better than we were by having genuine competition.

Unread 11-06-2024, 10:39 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
Just a bit, Arsenal fans are absolute £#%&!ing #@&%!s.

However, Pires played ~200 league games for Arsenal & scored in 62 & assisted 40+ basically means he was effective for a goal or assist every other game. That's £#%&!ing unbelievable. Classy player, that Arsenal side were quality & thankfully pushed us to be even better than we were by having genuine competition.
Goal / assist every 136 mins in the PL, as a wide midfielder.

#stats