United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 02-04-2023, 06:48 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
No goal in 3 is concern enough. 1 point from 9. It’s bad form. NQAT. Everyone in and around us has had a spell like this. This is our worst spell since those first two games of the season. Time to show a bit of character. Two big games this week and we need to grind out two wins. We’ll have Casemiro and Eriksen back after that.
Our away record against decent teams this season is absolutely horrendous, never mind 'worst spell' we utterly £#%&!ing melt when going away from home against anyone remotely decent. It's a feature of this team unfortunately.

Played 8
won 1
lost 7

Scored: 7
Conceded: 25

Looking at the away games we have left we ain't going to beat spurs or brighton. Probably won't beat west ham either.

Unread 02-04-2023, 06:53 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Our away record against decent teams this season is absolutely horrendous, never mind 'worst spell' we utterly £#%&!ing melt when going away from home against anyone remotely decent. It's a feature of this team unfortunately.

Played 8
won 1
lost 7

Looking at the away games we have left we ain't going to beat spurs or brighton. Probably won't beat west ham either.
it's unlike you to be this negative.

Unread 02-04-2023, 06:56 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:

Played 8
won 1
lost 7

Good job the league isn’t made up of just the top 9 then, isn’t it?

It is a spell because it consists of three league games. You can cherry pick the worst bits if you like, but that’s why people call you doomy.

You say we’ve been horrendous since we won the final. We’ve also won 3 games in that spell too.

It’s not what you’re saying is wrong, but how far you run with it is exaggerated.

When Newcastle had this kind of spell, you were having none of it and equally doomlaided about our prospects.

We’re struggling and having a bad spell, but a crisis isn’t sitting in the top four with a trophy and two to play for.

If we tumble out the top four and both cups in the next fortnight, then I’ll join you.

Unread 02-04-2023, 06:59 PM
believe

I wonder when the Netflix documentary will be out.

Unread 02-04-2023, 07:01 PM
Dr Stranger

Shaw: “it’s completely unacceptable”

I see we’re back to cheap talk….the mirrors will be out again soon for a ruddy good look into.

Didn’t they say all this after they lost SEVEN nil to our bitterest rivals just three games ago?

Lads, shut your mouths and step up. This season still has a lot riding on it and half a good season doesn’t undo years of pathetic displays. A lot of good will can be quickly undone.

Unread 02-04-2023, 07:03 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Shaw: “it’s completely unacceptable”

I see we’re back to cheap talk….the mirrors will be out again soon for a ruddy good look into.

Didn’t they say all this after they lost SEVEN nil to our bitterest rivals just three games ago?

Lads, shut your mouths and step up. This season still has a lot riding on it and half a good season doesn’t undo years of pathetic displays. A lot of good will can be quickly undone.
Let’s just hope the owners sell. I can’t be going through them taking a good look at considering a bid for all the players we sign

Unread 02-04-2023, 07:04 PM
20LEgend1999

We've still won about 22 of our last 24 home games so a couple of wins away on top of keeping that form up, we should be fine. Think it was mid October since we dropped points at home before the 10 men for 60 minutes against Southampton.

Quote:
Lads, shut your mouths.
Not sure that's how post-match interviews tend to work.

Unread 02-04-2023, 07:05 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20LEgend1999
We've still won about 22 of our last 24 home games so a couple of wins away on top of keeping that form up, we should be fine. Think it was mid October since we dropped points at home before the 10 men for 60 minutes against Southampton.

Not sure that's how post-match interviews tend to work.
Big week. Two fairly kind fixtures and we need to win both. Do so and we’re still really well placed and I suspect we’ll be back above Newcastle.

Unread 02-04-2023, 07:06 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Good job the league isn’t made up of just the top 9 then, isn’t it?

It is a spell because it consists of three league games. You can cherry pick the worst bits if you like, but that’s why people call you doomy.

You say we’ve been horrendous since we won the final. We’ve also won 3 games in that spell too.

It’s not what you’re saying is wrong, but how far you run with it is exaggerated.

When Newcastle had this kind of spell, you were having none of it and equally doomlaided about our prospects.

We’re struggling and having a bad spell, but a crisis isn’t sitting in the top four with a trophy and two to play for.

If we tumble out the top four and both cups in the next fortnight, then I’ll join you.
You said this to me the other day when i said we'd be joining liverpool in the europa league if we're not careful. If you want to dismiss every opinion i offer as me just being 'doomy' then whatever, you can't argue with actual £#%&!ing facts pal. i believe you said something along the lines of it's "hardly a concern" with newcastle chasing us. Well they're not chasing us any more are they.

The problem is we don't play like a team, it's that simple. We're utterly disjointed when Casemiro and Eriksen aren't there to knit things together. The lads up front today saw very little of the ball and when they did they just gave it away.

The cause of the first goal is the ridiculous goal kick routine which it's quite obvious our players aren't comfortable doing. From there it just spirals into chaos. It's obviously something the manager insists on which is quite baffling when you have a team that just implodes as quickly as we do away from home.

Newcastle for as wasteful as they are up front look an actual team most of the time. They'll have the odd bad result but they're difficult to beat because they don't give much away, they don't put themselves under pressure by dicking about with goal kicks when there's no need and they're effective in the right areas. We'll see how they go away from home now for the next 3 games but they probably won't lose them, which will keep them in contention.

We've got a nasty habit of losing games easily. Of going out without a whimper. At Arsenal we went with them and gave a good account - aside from that we've been brushed aside at City, Brentford, Villa, Liverpool, Newcastle. You can lose games but you can't consistently go away from home and just get rolled over and expect to finish top 4.

As I said, just dismiss what i say as 'doom' if you like, i judge what i see infront of me and what is see there today and for the last 4 games (fulham killed themselves for us) is a disjointed mess.

Unread 02-04-2023, 07:06 PM
jem

would be nice if shaw came out and said we've had £#%&! all from officials all season, we're missing our midfield and we're playing too many games. if he wants to talk about lack desire, he should just say "sancho coming on didn't help."

Unread 02-04-2023, 07:09 PM
magic_cantona

Ten Hags first season with only 6 of his own players. 2 were emergency loans because our owners wouldn't do the right thing. Now we get injuries and we're back to being under strength, a lack of real quality and there's nothing on the bench to change the game in midfield.

The first goal comes, again, from De Gea being unable to pass the ball. Made some good saves but I've lost count of the amount of times he starts the panic by playing a stray pass. It can't go on.

Looked better when made of glass Martial came on but you can't rely on him. Sure we'll be ok but our players look £#%&!ed.

Unread 02-04-2023, 07:11 PM
jem

and now 10h.... my goal kick instructions are shit, taking my centre backs off was a mistake, I played half a midfield... it wasn't about passion, it was actually tactical mistakes by me.

what, he didn't say that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
The first goal comes, again, from De Gea being unable to pass the ball.
no, it didn't.

Unread 02-04-2023, 07:12 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Ten Hags first season with only 6 of his own players. 2 were emergency loans because our owners wouldn't do the right thing. Now we get injuries and we're back to being under strength, a lack of real quality and there's nothing on the bench to change the game in midfield.

The first goal comes, again, from De Gea being unable to pass the ball. Made some good saves but I've lost count of the amount of times he starts the panic by playing a stray pass. It can't go on.

Looked better when made of glass Martial came on but you can't rely on him. Sure we'll be ok but our players look £#%&!ed.
We needed investment in january from our "great owners" and got £#%&! all. This is on them.

Chelsea spent 300 million in one window and the best we could do was a burnley striker on loan in turkey.

Unread 02-04-2023, 07:15 PM
jem

Quote:
We needed investment in january from our "great owners" and got £#%&! all. This is on them.

Chelsea spent 300 million in one window and the best we could do was a burnley striker on loan in turkey.
and sabitzer.

Unread 02-04-2023, 07:16 PM
Coracao

They were saying on the radio earlier that if we get to both finals, Fernandes may end up playing 76 games this season (assuming that is internationals too)

Unread 02-04-2023, 07:22 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
and now 10h.... my goal kick instructions are shit, taking my centre backs off was a mistake, I played half a midfield... it wasn't about passion, it was actually tactical mistakes by me.

what, he didn't say that?

no, it didn't.
Yes it did. Goal kick, ball gets misplaced to Varane, goes out. Goes across the pitch and its in the net 15 seconds later. Whatever, its happening in every game where we're put under pressure when there's absolutely no need for it.

Unread 02-04-2023, 07:24 PM
The taste of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim
All the more reason for us not to have played like a two-bob outfit. Our lack of balls was staggering.
No shit

All the more embarrassing for the carabao avengement on the pitch and dressing room

ETH has polished a turd. Glitters fell off needs polishing again

6 players out and in minimum if the debt goes

Unread 02-04-2023, 07:26 PM
dunk

Delighted for Sparky.

Unread 02-04-2023, 07:27 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Delighted for Sparky.
I know how he's feeling tbh

Unread 02-04-2023, 07:28 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
You said this to me the other day when i said we'd be joining liverpool in the europa league if we're not careful. If you want to dismiss every opinion i offer as me just being 'doomy' then whatever, you can't argue with actual £#%&!ing facts pal. i believe you said something along the lines of it's "hardly a concern" with newcastle chasing us. Well they're not chasing us any more are they.

The problem is we don't play like a team, it's that simple. We're utterly disjointed when Casemiro and Eriksen aren't there to knit things together. The lads up front today saw very little of the ball and when they did they just gave it away.

The cause of the first goal is the ridiculous goal kick routine which it's quite obvious our players aren't comfortable doing. From there it just spirals into chaos. It's obviously something the manager insists on which is quite baffling when you have a team that just implodes as quickly as we do away from home.

Newcastle for as wasteful as they are up front look an actual team most of the time. They'll have the odd bad result but they're difficult to beat because they don't give much away, they don't put themselves under pressure by dicking about with goal kicks when there's no need and they're effective in the right areas. We'll see how they go away from home now for the next 3 games but they probably won't lose them, which will keep them in contention.

We've got a nasty habit of losing games easily. Of going out without a whimper. At Arsenal we went with them and gave a good account - aside from that we've been brushed aside at City, Brentford, Villa, Liverpool, Newcastle. You can lose games but you can't consistently go away from home and just get rolled over and expect to finish top 4.

As I said, just dismiss what i say as 'doom' if you like, i judge what i see infront of me and what is see there today and for the last 4 games (fulham killed themselves for us) is a disjointed mess.
Did you even read my post? I didn’t dismiss it all. I didn’t even say it was wrong. I said that it was slanted. Which it is. You’re looking at that top 9 stat to draw a conclusion, ignoring other wins and the fact the league isn’t just made up of the top 9. We’ve won other games away, you know.

I don’t disagree that we have issues away against top sides. That’s just where we are in our development. Those issues see us sat 4th. That’s another stat. So as it stands, you can get away with that and be 4th.

You said we have been awful since the final, but ignore the fact we’ve won 3. So not really awful. Just patchy.

The criticism isn’t the observation, it’s the conclusion.

Meanwhile, we have to compare ourselves to what we’re up against.

Do you think Spurs and Newcastles problems are smaller than ours? They’ve had spells like this this season and then some. Their spell saw rusk out the top four altogether. Newcastle have won their last three, but had won 1 in 6 before that and scored 3 goals.

Don’t recall you saying they were in crisis. In fact, I recall talking you off the ledge as they were drawing 0-0 at Palace.

I’m denying what we see or saying what you see is wrong. It’s just selective and far from a crisis.

We literally won our last game before today.m

We are struggling right now as every team does at some point. I expect us to respond. We could be back up to third this time next week. It’s up to us.