United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 04-09-2023, 02:50 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Are you seriously struggling with this?

He wasn't bought to play against Arsenal. He wasn't brought in to make a difference in games vs Arsenal, or any other Premier League team for that matter. We didn't give him a contract to be some sort of serious signing. He wasn't brought in as some sort of on the pitch investment. He wasn't brought in in place of a young promising centre back. The reason we don't have another serious option at centre back is because Maguire wanted his pay-off.

Evans would not have got a sniff of the pitch yesterday if it wasn't for the fact that we already had one centre back out injured, a left back that can play centre back out injured, if our other first choice centre back didn't get injured in the game, or if our other backup wasn't ill and on a yellow card. The circumstances of him getting any minutes at all were so out of the ordinary that it's crazy how angry people are about it, and that they can't even understand the very clear and bizarre circumstances that led to him getting some minutes in the game.

If he wasn't at the club then someone who doesn't even play in that position would have been brought on instead to face Jesus, most likely The Scottish Player. Because there was no-one else, because they're all £#%&!ing injured. But that wouldn't mean that we kept The Scottish Player at the club just he can play centre back against Arsenal. It's because we'd have no other £#%&!ing option. And if it was a choice between Evans and The Scottish Player for 10 mins in that game, or a kid that has never played before, then I'd go with Evans as our best bet. It's not a good bet, but the best one we have because the cards we've been dealt with injuries and Maguire in general are £#%&!ing horrific.

I don't think ETH would even want to play Maguire again after how what happened in the summer. I don't think there's a single fan that would want to see him on the pitch again, but we had to, because there was no-one else other than Evans at the time. So he got on the pitch. Same with Evans. It's shit, but Christ on a bike, you'd think we'd signed him as some sort of serious transfer target the way you lot are carrying on.
We didn’t even have The Scottish Player on the bench.

The only other option would have been to stick Casemiro back there with Gore or Hannibal in midfield or stick Reguilon on and stick awb there.

Unread 04-09-2023, 03:13 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Are you seriously struggling with this?

He wasn't bought to play against Arsenal. He wasn't brought in to make a difference in games vs Arsenal, or any other Premier League team for that matter. We didn't give him a contract to be some sort of serious signing. He wasn't brought in as some sort of on the pitch investment. He wasn't brought in in place of a young promising centre back. The reason we don't have another serious option at centre back is because Maguire wanted his pay-off.

Evans would not have got a sniff of the pitch yesterday if it wasn't for the fact that we already had one centre back out injured, a left back that can play centre back out injured, if our other first choice centre back didn't get injured in the game, or if our other backup wasn't ill and on a yellow card. The circumstances of him getting any minutes at all were so out of the ordinary that it's crazy how angry people are about it, and that they can't even understand the very clear and bizarre circumstances that led to him getting some minutes in the game.

If he wasn't at the club then someone who doesn't even play in that position would have been brought on instead to face Jesus, most likely The Scottish Player. Because there was no-one else, because they're all £#%&!ing injured. But that wouldn't mean that we kept The Scottish Player at the club just he can play centre back against Arsenal. It's because we'd have no other £#%&!ing option. And if it was a choice between Evans and The Scottish Player for 10 mins in that game, or a kid that has never played before, then I'd go with Evans as our best bet. It's not a good bet, but the best one we have because the cards we've been dealt with injuries and Maguire in general are £#%&!ing horrific.

I don't think ETH would even want to play Maguire again after how what happened in the summer. I don't think there's a single fan that would want to see him on the pitch again, but we had to, because there was no-one else other than Evans at the time. So he got on the pitch. Same with Evans. It's shit, but Christ on a bike, you'd think we'd signed him as some sort of serious transfer target the way you lot are carrying on.
Despite your passive aggressiveness, I'm not struggling with anything.

Except why we did sign him and pay him a weekly salary (because according to the above we never intended him to actually play football)

Unread 04-09-2023, 03:28 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Despite your passive aggressiveness, I'm not struggling with anything.

Except why we did sign him and pay him a weekly salary (because according to the above we never intended him to actually play football)
You really are. Unless you disagree with the fact that he only got on the pitch as a very last resort in extenuating circumstances.

As to why he was brought in, well I can only guess that it's similar to what happened with Huddlestone last. He's going into coaching, he's a good presence in training and for younger players. I'm assuming it's not to play a lot of competitive football for the team considering he came on for 10 minutes as the very last option at a time when our back line is completely and utterly decimated.

Imagine pointing your nose up at the chance to get in a model pro that's connected to the club and that's been in top flight football for 17 years and wants to stay in the game and coach

The same people who point their nose up at this also bitch and complain about how entitled and bratty some of our young players are. But bring in an experienced pro for nowt to help that could help with that while he transitions to coaching and it's another set of bitching and complaining.

The sheer negativity at every £#%&!ing thing is knackering.

Unread 04-09-2023, 03:35 PM
shenwen

Quote:
You really are. Unless you disagree with the fact that he only got on the pitch as a very last resort in extenuating circumstances.

As to why he was brought in, well I can only guess that it's similar to what happened with Huddlestone last. He's going into coaching, he's a good presence in training and for younger players. I'm assuming it's not to play a lot of competitive football for the team considering he came on for 10 minutes as the very last option at a time when our back line is completely and utterly decimated.

Imagine pointing your nose up at the chance to get in a model pro that's connected to the club and that's been in top flight football for 17 years and wants to stay in the game and coach

The same people who point their nose up at this also bitch and complain about how entitled and bratty some of our young players are. But bring in an experienced pro for nowt to help that could help with that while he transitions to coaching and it's another set of bitching and complaining.

The sheer negativity at every £#%&!ing thing is knackering.
I’m really not struggling. I get your arguments, except some of the straw men in the post above, but don’t agree with them. Happy to leave it at that.

Unread 04-09-2023, 03:38 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
I’m really not struggling. I get your arguments, except some of the straw men in the post above, but don’t agree with them. Happy to leave it at that.
What don't you agree with exactly?

Unread 04-09-2023, 03:42 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Has Rice got some Caribbean or African heritage?
gabriel might.

Unread 04-09-2023, 03:42 PM
believe

Quote:
Party doesn’t like to leave things. Especially when he’s wrong.

Unread 04-09-2023, 03:45 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Party doesn’t like to leave things. Especially when he’s wrong.

Unread 04-09-2023, 03:51 PM
pedr0

he definitely wasn't signed for the Huddlestone/mcshane role. bit weird to pretend otherwise.

they were both explicitly signed for the u21s. they coached, trained and played with the u21s. Huddlestone still does. he doesn't train with the first team squad, doesn't have a squad number, never made a match day squad etc.

Unread 04-09-2023, 03:58 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0
he definitely wasn't signed for the Huddlestone/mcshane role. bit weird to pretend otherwise.

they were both explicitly signed for the u21s. they coached, trained and played with the u21s. Huddlestone still does. he doesn't train with the first team squad, doesn't have a squad number, never made a match day squad etc.
No he wasn't signed for that role, but it's a similar situation. Bit weird to pretend otherwise.

Unread 04-09-2023, 04:48 PM
AK14

Quote:

Unread 04-09-2023, 04:59 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
We didn’t even have The Scottish Player on the bench.

The only other option would have been to stick Casemiro back there with Gore or Hannibal in midfield or stick Reguilon on and stick awb there.

Unread 05-09-2023, 12:22 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
What we’ve all been waiting for!

Unread 05-09-2023, 01:51 PM
Denis Irwell

Bring back Phil.

Unread 05-09-2023, 02:11 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Bring back Phil.

Done.

Unread 05-09-2023, 02:29 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
“You have to laugh”

Unread 05-09-2023, 03:01 PM
Ethers

£#%&! off

Is this serious?!

Unread 05-09-2023, 03:23 PM
ZiggyStardust

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Although this may on the surface appear to be another jobs for the boys decision, the reality is Phil Jones is one of the brightest football minds of his generation

Would be foolish to let that level of talent leave the club

Unread 05-09-2023, 03:27 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Although this may on the surface appear to be another jobs for the boys decision, the reality is Phil Jones is one of the brightest football minds of his generation

Would be foolish to let that level of talent leave the club
My thinking exactly. He made over 150 appearances for the club, and was here for 12 years. He’s a solid pro who knows the club, who’ll no doubt be earning his coaching badges - he’ll be a positive influence on the training ground. Who wouldn’t want that?