View Poll Results: who do you want to win
denmark ABE 13 44.83%
england obvs 9 31.03%
im happy whatever happens 7 24.14%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 24-06-2024, 06:40 PM
Fat Al

From The Guardian:

Yet these were not the only grounds for the disorienting disposition of this encounter. Every time the men in white took possession of the sphere in the proximity of the left wing, they were consistently forced to funnel it, in turn, to the centre of the pitch, rendering most of their offensive efforts tortured, even disjointed. The side in red could simply defend their territory in the middle with impunity, secure in the knowledge their opponents were powerless to hurt them on their right verge.

That’s a pretty terrible paragraph, right? But that’s what happens when you wilfully restrict your options. You have Kieran Trippier, a right-footed left-back who doesn’t even bother trying to disguise the fact – no feint, no shimmy, no darting eyes – that he’s going to turn back inside. You have Phil Foden, a left-footed player with very little interest in playing on the left wing, who always wants to come short into the central areas. England are essentially a team playing on 70% of the pitch, which is like trying to write an entire paragraph – like I did above – without using the letter A.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...d-to-be-boring

Unread 24-06-2024, 07:01 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al View Post
From The Guardian:

Yet these were not the only grounds for the disorienting disposition of this encounter. Every time the men in white took possession of the sphere in the proximity of the left wing, they were consistently forced to funnel it, in turn, to the centre of the pitch, rendering most of their offensive efforts tortured, even disjointed. The side in red could simply defend their territory in the middle with impunity, secure in the knowledge their opponents were powerless to hurt them on their right verge.

That’s a pretty terrible paragraph, right? But that’s what happens when you wilfully restrict your options. You have Kieran Trippier, a right-footed left-back who doesn’t even bother trying to disguise the fact – no feint, no shimmy, no darting eyes – that he’s going to turn back inside. You have Phil Foden, a left-footed player with very little interest in playing on the left wing, who always wants to come short into the central areas. England are essentially a team playing on 70% of the pitch, which is like trying to write an entire paragraph – like I did above – without using the letter A.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...d-to-be-boring
Creatively, that’s right up there with a ‘10 things I can see from my desk’ piece aimed. at News of The World Sunday magazine journalists by Viz, more than a few years ago.

Unread 24-06-2024, 10:15 PM
Msgr A Brook

If I was honest I'd have taken Rashford. If there were twenty minutes to go in a match and you needed something happen I'd rather turn around and see Rashford than three lads who play for Crystal Palace. It's about levels.

Unread 25-06-2024, 02:51 AM
croady26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgr A Brook View Post
If I was honest I'd have taken Rashford. If there were twenty minutes to go in a match and you needed something happen I'd rather turn around and see Rashford than three lads who play for Crystal Palace. It's about levels.
He should have thought twice about walking around the pitch away at Newcastle then if he wanted to be selected