United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Hall of Fame

Unread 07-06-2024, 08:36 AM
thatsfuctit

Default Man Utd v Leicester City | 1963 FA Cup Final

Unread 07-06-2024, 10:50 AM
Denis Irwell

5 years after the aircrash. My first United tv experience. I’d been a regular at OT by then, though but the old fella couldn’t get tickets so half the street round our house to watch it,on telly. They were favourites as title challengers and we just managed to escape relegation but drew with City at theirs and sent them down.
Leicester barely got a sniff as Mom, Denis got one and David Herd scored 2. Denis turned us around and next season, with the addition of Paddy, we were runners up to Liverpool, then champs the following season.

Still got all the Evening News Souvenir papers etc from nearly every round, back when the Cup had a higher standing than the league

Unread 07-06-2024, 11:16 AM
Mou Mou Land

My first ever live match. We lived near Leeds in those days and the guy opposite [who we only knew vaguely] came over and said to my Dad that he noticed I played football all the time and that he had a spare ticket for the 'Cup Final' next week, and would I like to go?
Those being more innocent days he said yes and a week later [at nearly six years old] I found myself trundling down to London in a clapped out old car with someone I barely knew. We parked just outside Wembley itself and trundled in. I had no real allegiance in those days, but on that day the love was born. The guy took me over to Old Trafford regularly over the next few years, and down to London for the 1968 final.

I often wonder what my parents thought as two months after the first Wembley venture the first 'Moors murder' victim went missing. They still let him drive me to OT over the moors on our way from Leeds and back though.

If by Paddy you mean Crerand, he joined us in the February and played in the final.

Unread 07-06-2024, 12:49 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mou Mou Land View Post
My first ever live match. We lived near Leeds in those days and the guy opposite [who we only knew vaguely] came over and said to my Dad that he noticed I played football all the time and that he had a spare ticket for the 'Cup Final' next week, and would I like to go?
Those being more innocent days he said yes and a week later [at nearly six years old] I found myself trundling down to London in a clapped out old car with someone I barely knew. We parked just outside Wembley itself and trundled in. I had no real allegiance in those days, but on that day the love was born. The guy took me over to Old Trafford regularly over the next few years, and down to London for the 1968 final.

I often wonder what my parents thought as two months after the first Wembley venture the first 'Moors murder' victim went missing. They still let him drive me to OT over the moors on our way from Leeds and back though.

If by Paddy you mean Crerand, he joined us in the February and played in the final.

Correct. wore the lid of the cup on his head.

Unread 08-06-2024, 03:53 AM
Denis Irwell

All pre-premier diving, all seaters, gloved players, celebrity refs, corruption, online fans etc.

Doesn’t count.

Unread 08-06-2024, 11:13 AM
The taste of...

Shocking period in our history.

Nearly got relegated. That Busby guy was lucky he had that cup run

We should have binned him straight after and gone for someone like that
Catterick chap at Everton who was winning the league with his much vaunted school of science. It was all the rage ya know

Unread 13-06-2024, 09:35 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mou Mou Land View Post

Your right as he certainly did, not that I can claim to remember it as I was'nt even born untill early September 64, however I have seen covrage of this Game before

Unread 13-06-2024, 09:47 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by The taste of... View Post
Shocking period in our history.

Nearly got relegated. That Busby guy was lucky he had that cup run

We should have binned him straight after and gone for someone like that
Catterick chap at Everton who was winning the league with his much vaunted school of science. It was all the rage ya know
Message to Ratcliffe?

Last season’s league performance was impressive compared to Busby’s in 63 and SAF finishing 13thin 1990.

Cup winners make title winners.

Unread 13-06-2024, 09:51 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell View Post
Message to Ratcliffe?

Last season’s league performance was impressive compared to Busby’s in 63 and SAF finishing 13thin 1990.

Cup winners make title winners.
It looks like someone may have pointed your exellent post out to him, well that & apparrently none of the leading contenders for ETH's job we're willing to take on the challenge at this moment in time.