United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 06-06-2024, 02:43 PM
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinger II View Post
I'm for it but it is a shambles in its current form.

They should pare it back to offsides and giving each manager the option to have one decision reviewed per game - the review to be carried out by the actual referee of the game, as opposed to some remote party or parties.

See how it goes from there.

Should also go back to 3 subs and normal levels of injury time.
If it must stay, which i'm absolutely against. You cannot use technology to improve subjective decisions. Not possible. It works for Goal line tech, and at a push for offside when the technology and cameras have caught up (Which remains to be seen)

An appeal system could work better than the shitshow we have now where refs can pick and choose which of their homework to re mark. Only appeal by a captain, ban monitors and ear pieces to mangers from the stand.

And you keep it to 1 appeal. Use it and you're wrong you lose it. You successfully appeal and you keep it. Captain has 30 seconds after the initial decision or it's gone.

Avoid being fed info from the stands and decisions being delayed. Adds abit more responsibility to club captains too

it would still be £#%&! but an improvement

and £#%&!ing stop with the pantomime of a ref jogging over to the screen to make a 'Judgement' it's not a 2nd review it's a live coaching session on why the ref was wrong. £#%&!ing pointless and brought in my Webb to appease the same argument as Farage makes about EU parliament 'Decisions being made in Brussels/Stockley park'

On appeal the VAR makes the decision, stop pressure from home crowds etc...

Unread 06-06-2024, 03:04 PM
jem

a limited number of appeals doesn't win my vote. decisions that need correcting should be corrected quickly and consistently.

the technology for offside could be much better, though. it shouldn't just be camera-based.

Unread 06-06-2024, 03:07 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem View Post
a limited number of appeals doesn't win my vote. decisions that need correcting should be corrected quickly and consistently.

the technology for offside could be much better, though. it shouldn't just be camera-based.
God I feel dirty doing this but I agree with Jem.
You cannot put limits on appeals - we've all seen games where the ref has made howler after howler. If they £#%&! up, it needs to be fixed whether once a game or 5 times in a game.

Unread 06-06-2024, 03:12 PM
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al View Post
God I feel dirty doing this but I agree with Jem.
You cannot put limits on appeals - we've all seen games where the ref has made howler after howler. If they £#%&! up, it needs to be fixed whether once a game or 5 times in a game.
VAR has proven not to fix howlers. There will always be howlers in the way strikers miss chances. Subjective decisions will always be Subjective

VAR in its current form removes all good faith. Having an appeal would still allow for VAR to get involved but keep the good faith that refs are actively trying to ref the game correct.

Unread 06-06-2024, 05:43 PM
BigRonManager

A subjective interpretation of the rules will remain inconsistent no matter how many pairs of eyes you put on it.

Unread 06-06-2024, 05:48 PM
suedeshoes

Hate VAR. Players make mistakes, refs make mistakes. Humans make mistakes. Deal with it.

Unread 06-06-2024, 06:28 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRonManager View Post
A subjective interpretation of the rules will remain inconsistent no matter how many pairs of eyes you put on it.
sure, but var should not be intervening for subjective interpretations.

goals and offsides should be a matter of fact.

handball and cards for dangerous tackles should be up to the ref. var should only intervene if the ref missed something, not because it disagrees with his decision.

Unread 06-06-2024, 06:38 PM
Finport Red

The solution has been more controversial than the problems it was introduced to solve. If anything, it opens the game up to more discriminatory decision making, potential cheating and match fixing than before.

It has ruined the game as a spectacle, removing moments of absolute ecstasy while some wannabe celebrity ref sits in a box looking for a way to rule out your team’s goal.

Unread 06-06-2024, 06:52 PM
Mou Mou Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red View Post
If anything, it opens the game up to more discriminatory decision making, potential cheating and match fixing than before.
The tyranny of the majority in other words.

Unread 06-06-2024, 06:55 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mou Mou Land View Post
The tyranny of the majority in other words.
Was thinking more of the minority and their ref pals who do extra curricular in their owners’ home state.

Unread 06-06-2024, 07:20 PM
Whip Hubley

It's absolutely £#%&!ing shite and has completely ruined what was already a fairly fragile sport.

Football is (was) a game of spontaneity. What's the point in balooning to a last minute winner when you know you're going to have to wait 2-3 minutes for it to be confirmed?

Goal line technology - great (especially if you're villa )
Eventually they might come up with some proper automated offside technology - again fine.

But VAR has turned into a grotesque monster, being way overused and in completely the wrong situations. It's wildly inconsistent because of the chumps on the other end who practice absolutely no consistency with their decisions.

Unread 06-06-2024, 07:40 PM
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley View Post

But VAR has turned into a grotesque monster, being way overused and in completely the wrong situations. It's wildly inconsistent because of the chumps on the other end who practice absolutely no consistency with their decisions.
There never be consistency as no two fouls, decisions are ever the same. If anything all it does is serve to lower the threshold to what is considered foul or red card as that will show an illusion of 'Consistency' as the window is wider so all it's done is validate diving, simulation and soft decisions.

However without VAR again, bad decisions are accepted to a degree as yeah the ref only has one look we get a million and it's still split. With VAR we can go back through 3 years of split decisions and compare which wouldn't even be a second thought without it

Unread 06-06-2024, 08:08 PM
Dacter

Quote:
Originally Posted by naes_sean View Post
VAR isn't going bye bye. Wolves motion Defeated 19-1
Let’s face it, it was always wildly optimistic to hope that clubs and the governing bodies would consider the opinions of fans in any meaningful way.

They all talk a good game until it comes time to implement any real change.

Unread 06-06-2024, 09:15 PM
Stickman

My biggest issue with it is the arbitrary nature of it. Some of the incidents it ignores can’t be explained.