United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 07-05-2024, 10:35 AM
pedr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
So aside from playing Amrabat instead of Eriksen or Antony. What other options did ETH have last night looking at the bench - not many.

Maybe he was protecting the young players last night. Putting them into that shit show would been have a bit risky for their confidence.
yes he was absolutely constricted in terms of personnel but not in terms of tactics and general approach.

Unread 07-05-2024, 10:39 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0
yes he was absolutely constricted in terms of personnel but not in terms of tactics and general approach.
What were these? Casimero and Evans and the full.backs were a collective disaster in terms of their decision making and discipline. Those weren't tactics.

That thrashing has been coming for a while.

Unread 07-05-2024, 10:46 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0 View Post
this is what the injuries crew don't get.

even if he had just played amrabat instead of eriksen or antony (he had players to replace both of them, but still...), it's the way we play and the structure of the team that sucks. when we have fit players, he still £#%&!s them up with this stupid approach. replacing eriksen with amrabat is not just a player swap, it's tyring to make a solid wall in front of the defence, instead of mainoo chasing shadows on his own.

I don't care that we lost - I don't want europa conference league football, thanks. I think it was a good opportunity to try amass (and be forgiving), to play a solid midfield (I would have played cass, mainoo and amrabat in midfield) which gives the defence a chance, and to play one of dalot or wan b in the middle with the slug jfe.

amass might only be 17, but he is strong enough to play against saka. a game under his belt would have helped.

Unread 07-05-2024, 10:49 AM
wiganste

Well I enjoyed that

Unread 07-05-2024, 10:51 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste View Post
Well I enjoyed that

Unread 07-05-2024, 10:54 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
this is what the injuries crew don't get.

even if he had just played amrabat instead of eriksen or antony (he had players to replace both of them, but still...), it's the way we play and the structure of the team that sucks. when we have fit players, he still £#%&!s them up with this stupid approach. replacing eriksen with amrabat is not just a player swap, it's tyring to make a solid wall in front of the defence, instead of mainoo chasing shadows on his own.

I don't care that we lost - I don't want europa conference league football, thanks. I think it was a good opportunity to try amass (and be forgiving), to play a solid midfield (I would have played cass, mainoo and amrabat in midfield) which gives the defence a chance, and to play one of dalot or wan b in the middle with the slug jfe.

amass might only be 17, but he is strong enough to play against saka. a game under his belt would have helped.
Ok agree with Amrabat instead of Eriksen but Casimero looks terribly exposed in midfield with players running at him and AWB or Dalot at centre half is another potential disaster.

His failure to try something is questionable but Atambat aside he was rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Unread 07-05-2024, 11:04 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony View Post
Ok agree with Amrabat instead of Eriksen but Casimero looks terribly exposed in midfield with players running at him and AWB or Dalot at centre half is another potential disaster.

His failure to try something is questionable but Atambat aside he was rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.
casemiro looks exposed in defence, with players running at him, or in midfield, with players running at him. playing a full midfield is an attempt to solve either problem. don't expose him... or jfe. at least awb and dalot have a bit of pace to provide cover. it's not ideal, but it's a lot more sensible than letting mainoo play midfield on his own while eriksen dies quietly.

part of casemiro's problem recently has been a reckless approach, because he is having to cover too much.

Unread 07-05-2024, 11:11 AM
redhegemony

Casimero has become increasingly reckless as he seems to be slow to get to the right place. His great asset was to always be in the right place - ahead of the game- that seems ro have deserted him.

Unread 07-05-2024, 11:14 AM
jem

Quote:
Casimero has become increasingly reckless as he seems to be slow to get to the right place. His great asset was to always be in the right place - ahead of the game- that seems ro have deserted him.
so, maybe give him less ground to cover?

it's half being asked to do too much and half mental (probably because he knows he being asked to do too much and he's realise he can't fix 10h). he wouldn't be throwing himself into challenges and looking like an arse, if he knew he had cover.

Unread 07-05-2024, 11:24 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
so, maybe give him less ground to cover?

it's half being asked to do too much and half mental (probably because he knows he being asked to do too much and he's realise he can't fix 10h). he wouldn't be throwing himself into challenges and looking like an arse, if he knew he had cover.
Playing him at centre half does recognise he can't do too much and would make more sense if we had an adequate screen in front.

Unread 07-05-2024, 11:42 AM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Well I enjoyed that

You poor bastard.

Unread 07-05-2024, 11:42 AM
croady26

You could maybe make an argument things could have been different had Hojlund's goal not been disallowed but it's reaching

Unread 07-05-2024, 11:43 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste View Post
Well I enjoyed that
Quote:
Originally Posted by croady26 View Post
You could maybe make an argument things could have been different had Hojlund's goal not been disallowed but it's reaching
tbh I don’t get why you can challenge a defender like that but not a keeper.

Unread 07-05-2024, 11:48 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by croady26 View Post
Not sure it would have changed the end result but a ridiculous decision all the same. The referee, again, was dogshit

Unread 07-05-2024, 11:49 AM
jem

Quote:
Playing him at centre half does recognise he can't do too much and would make more sense if we had an adequate screen in front.
he had no cover in front of him or behind him. he's not a cb.

Unread 07-05-2024, 11:54 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem View Post
he had no cover in front of him or behind him. he's not a cb.
sadly doesn't look much like a midfielder these days either

Unread 07-05-2024, 11:57 AM
jem

Quote:
sadly doesn't look much like a midfielder these days either
like antony, you are just going round in circles.

Unread 07-05-2024, 12:32 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0 View Post
100%. I don't get why so many ignore this. It's not about Amrabat or Amad, It's about having the players on the pitch having some kind of discipline and not constantly out of position with no cover. It feels so basic at times.

Unread 07-05-2024, 12:38 PM
croady26

Bruno must have been fuming watching that

Unread 07-05-2024, 05:02 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth View Post

You poor bastard.
4 games to go. That's what I'm clinging on to now.
I can't see us winning another game this season, the stuff of dreams!