United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 09-11-2023, 08:27 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
https://twitter.com/Shanee_Farrelly/...q5Maav1hQ&s=19

Not a red, or a yellow (he was actually on a yellow).

The game is £#%&!ed. Gone. Rashfords red last night was a £#%&!ing disgrace. What will change? Nothing.
These refs really don’t have any idea what a normal Action is, do they?

Rashford is clearly planting his foot to shield the ball. It’s what you do in that situation. All they can see is a dangerous stamp. They just watch a foot planting on an ankle again and again until their brain screams red card.

Meanwhile, there is nothing natural about what that guy is doing here. You don’t throw your elbow forward in and inward ffs unless you’re deliberately trying to elbow a player. But they’ll just see it as a flick of the arm. In this case , intent matters and it’s clear what the intent is.

Unread 09-11-2023, 08:31 AM
Stickman

The panel that determined red for Rashford just can’t have played football.

Even Carragher is screaming at the injustice.

Unread 09-11-2023, 10:47 AM
armchair

I didn't realise that refs didn't want var. It was the clubs that pushed it through.

Unread 09-11-2023, 10:56 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
I didn't realise that refs didn't want var. It was the clubs that pushed it through.
I remember them not being fond of the idea, something about taking the responsibility away from them or something.

Upon review it seems that they got something right for a change. Ironic really.

Unread 09-11-2023, 11:07 AM
Zorg

It really is incredible this wasn't even checked

Unread 09-11-2023, 12:13 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
It really is incredible this wasn't even checked

https://twitter.com/Muppetiers/statu...686757400?s=20
It is, but it isn't.

It's got that bad.

Unread 09-11-2023, 01:25 PM
redhegemony

The whole point of VAR was to deal with significant mistakes and to promote consistency. It's actually made things worse on both counts.

It doesn't have to be so shit other sports such as Rugby and Cricket have made it work effectively without destroying the game though rugby needs to be careful.

The whole way its edited is part of the reason it produces such shit outcomes. One thing rugby referees are very good at is appreciating the difference between slow motion and real time and you here them ask for real time footage. They decide what they want to see not the other way round.

VAR selects the material that gives rise to the outcome they want.

It really has sucked the life out of the game. I hate it with a passion.

Unread 09-11-2023, 08:32 PM
Zorg

Unread 09-11-2023, 08:42 PM
Sparky***

Of course.

Unread 09-11-2023, 09:50 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Of course.
Was that the Liverpool one from tonight?

Rashfords not looking at his man, the Liverpool player is looking straight at where he's planted his foot. Inconsistency again.

Unread 11-11-2023, 09:41 PM
magic_cantona

Unread 11-11-2023, 10:14 PM
jesper

Quote:
It was obvious when they didn't show replays of either that they were worse than the City penalty. Just a joke now.

Unread 12-11-2023, 01:15 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesper
It was obvious when they didn't show replays of either that they were worse than the City penalty. Just a joke now.
i thought that when VAR came in that they would apply it evenly across the board.

How wrong I was.

In the last couple of seasons, and this one especially, it seems as if they're picking and choosing what they'll scrutinise and what they won't. Even if identical incidents happen, they're not even subject to to the same reviews.

There's an awful lot of making it up as they go along and far too much self justification.

Unread 12-11-2023, 01:40 AM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
i thought that when VAR came in that they would apply it evenly across the board.

How wrong I was.

In the last couple of seasons, and this one especially, it seems as if they're picking and choosing what they'll scrutinise and what they won't. Even if identical incidents happen, they're not even subject to to the same reviews.

There's an awful lot of making it up as they go along and far too much self justification.
They don’t apply it evenly in the same game let alone across the season. The parliamentary questions about Onana against Wolves when their keeper did something similar prior which didn’t even get checked. Doubt it was even replayed.

Unread 12-11-2023, 03:19 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
They don’t apply it evenly in the same game let alone across the season. The parliamentary questions about Onana against Wolves when their keeper did something similar prior which didn’t even get checked. Doubt it was even replayed.
Everton gk covering the eyes of one of our players as he went for a header a yard or two out. Var could not have missed that

Unread 12-11-2023, 03:30 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
sa did not do something similar. his was a blatant foul on the player heading the ball. onana's involved a player being pushed back into him by the player heading the ball. foul on the keeper!

Unread 12-11-2023, 06:04 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:

How wrong I was.

It does make you ask why though. I'm not being RAWK but why are we on the end of such ridiculous decisions? The City 'penalty' was a genuine scandal. Unsurprisingly, none have been given since, despite the wrestling that goes on in every game, every week. And yeah, why wasn't Maguires (x2) replayed again and again with the obvious questions being asked? It's genuinely making me loathe the game. There's no recourse, nobody can ask the question and get it looked at. Seriously, when was the last time City were on the end of a really terrible decision? I genuinely can't think.

Unread 12-11-2023, 06:09 AM
History

Quote:
It does make you ask why though. I'm not being RAWK but why are we on the end of such ridiculous decisions? The City 'penalty' was a genuine scandal. Unsurprisingly, none have been given since, despite the wrestling that goes on in every game, every week. And yeah, why wasn't Maguires (x2) replayed again and again with the obvious questions being asked? It's genuinely making me loathe the game. There's no recourse, nobody can ask the question and get it looked at. Seriously, when was the last time City were on the end of a really terrible decision? I genuinely can't think.
There's an amount of 'good faith' that supporters give refs that can only see the incident once. No matter how much people moaned in the past. Its is very hard to ref a game so there was a good threshold on what we're genuine mistakes if they made any and any subjective () people would alot of the time already come down on the side of the ref if it wasn't a stinker.

Var has eliminated all of that and shows what a shitshow and how they are moulded by what's the hot incident of the week. Unacceptable.

But it all stems from the technology not being compatible with the type of game football is.

Unread 12-11-2023, 06:20 AM
magic_cantona

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
There's an amount of 'good faith' that supporters give refs that can only see the incident once. No matter how much people moaned in the past. Its is very hard to ref a game so there was a good threshold on what we're genuine mistakes if they made any and any subjective () people would alot of the time already come down on the side of the ref if it wasn't a stinker.

Var has eliminated all of that and shows what a shitshow and how they are moulded by what's the hot incident of the week. Unacceptable.

But it all stems from the technology not being compatible with the type of game football is.
Yeah, agree. I mean it's never going to work when they're asking referees to "use their discretion" or make a "Subjective" decision. Especially because they do it one match, for a certain team and then not in the next match, for a different team.

Surely it has to get binned?

Unread 12-11-2023, 08:42 AM
lenin

Quote:
TV not showing replays of VAR check incidents like these is definitely on the increase for us - last week they did the same with a handball from a Bruno cross. The PL do their own production of international broadcasts don’t they? Until this week I assumed it was some Sky or BT skullduggery but this week has confirmed it goes further

Something fishy is going on. I watch enough non-United games and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a major incident such as you know, a push in the penalty area (particularly as it’s a fairly controversial topic after that pisstake city penalty), not be replayed on tv. We had it twice - and there are quite a few other examples this season and last