United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 04-09-2023, 07:46 AM
Stickman

I’m near certain it isn’t offside. It’s the defenders head. There is no angle where any part of Garnacho is ahead of that?!

Unread 04-09-2023, 07:48 AM
larry

they need to draw it again from his head, release the image, then come out and admit var made yet another mistake and it cost us a win we'd have been talking about for years

Unread 04-09-2023, 08:00 AM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Did the same at home last season iirc.

You'd expect a siege mentality after yesterday but you know, internationals.

Unread 04-09-2023, 08:02 AM
Dr Stranger

The lines are flawed. Not just yesterday, but in general. They like to pretend It’s this open and shut forensic process. It isn’t. The lines are often in the wrong place, the angle is wrong, the freeze frame timing is wrong.

And it’s never scrutinised. Those lines come up, we accept it and never see them again until fans kick off on social media.

It’s not just because it’s United either. That second liverpool goal at Stamford bridge was the same. Salah looked on. The lines came up and had him way off. It didn’t look right. They were on the screen for all of five seconds and they’re gone.

It needs better technology or we go the other way: if you can’t see he’s off with the naked eye, then give them the benefit of the doubt. We should be encouraging goals.

In fact, didn’t they say they were going to do that?

Unread 04-09-2023, 08:15 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
The lines are flawed. Not just yesterday, but in general. They like to pretend It’s this open and shut forensic process. It isn’t. The lines are often in the wrong place, the angle is wrong, the freeze frame timing is wrong.

And it’s never scrutinised. Those lines come up, we accept it and never see them again until fans kick off on social media.

It’s not just because it’s United either. That second liverpool goal at Stamford bridge was the same. Salah looked on. The lines came up and had him way off. It didn’t look right. They were on the screen for all of five seconds and they’re gone.

It needs better technology or we go the other way: if you can’t see he’s off with the naked eye, then give them the benefit of the doubt. We should be encouraging goals.

In fact, didn’t they say they were going to do that?
Yeah, 'giving the forward the benefit' - not seen that for anyone yet. And the lines are a joke, an utter pisstake.

It's hard to take when you have Gary Neville calling Kai Havertz's tumble a "definite penalty - Wan Bissaka jumping in there, it's crazy", when it clearly WASNT a penalty. Nothing said about Hojlund though. The paradox when anything iffy goes for us is absolutely mental, like the press are waiting for it.

Unread 04-09-2023, 08:39 AM
pedr0

the offside is just based on flawed technology, we all know it's a farce. as Dr stranger suggests these go for and against all teams at random. we were unlucky yesterday.

as for saka, that's not a straight red card FFS

Unread 04-09-2023, 08:44 AM
larry

it's flawed but it's a human task to draw the lines, and yesterday they drew the lines in the wrong place and their incompetence cost us

i think ive seen a var team is made up of 5 or 6 people, and not one of them noticed the line wasn't drawn from his head? the probability of 5 trained people all making the same mistake must be exceptionally low but here we are

Unread 04-09-2023, 08:57 AM
pedr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry
Quote:
it's flawed but it's a human task to draw the lines, and yesterday they drew the lines in the wrong place and their incompetence cost us

i think ive seen a var team is made up of 5 or 6 people, and not one of them noticed the line wasn't drawn from his head? the probability of 5 trained people all making the same mistake must be exceptionally low but here we are
if you draw a line from Gabriel's head on the above pic, garnacho is still not onside. sorry.

that's not the issue

Unread 04-09-2023, 09:07 AM
larry

need someone to draw the line to prove it then
his head is the furthest thing forward so the blue line won't go down as far, i think the lines would end up touching each other or falling within the benefit of the doubt margin they introduced
sorry

Unread 04-09-2023, 09:10 AM
Dr Stranger

That’s not the best angle either. I don’t know why they insist on using that angle when they have the better one that is in line with where the lineman would be. There’s a reason linesman aren’t 20 yards behind the play.

We should be looking at a straight line from the top to bottom if we have that angle.

Unread 04-09-2023, 09:11 AM
larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0
that's not the issue
and whether it would have made a difference or not, the fact the var team dont understand where to draw the lines is surely an issue

Unread 04-09-2023, 09:12 AM
Finport Red

These things even themselves out over a season.

We apparently got away with not conceding a penalty against wolves, so now we have to have every major decision go against us for the rest of the season to avoid Sky and Match Of The Day formal investigations. Happened last season when we got that goal against city, didn’t get a decision the rest of the year. Fortunately for everyone else, this season’s ‘disgrace’ came in the first game, so we’re humped until summer 2024 now.

Unread 04-09-2023, 09:20 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red

We apparently got away with not conceding a penalty against wolves, so now we have to have every major decision go against us for the rest of the season to avoid Sky and Match Of The Day formal investigations. Happened last season when we got that goal against city, didn’t get a decision the rest of the year. Fortunately for everyone else, this season’s ‘disgrace’ came in the first game, so we’re humped until summer 2024 now.
We got a penalty last week, a red card for the opposition and had a penalty
Overturned yesterday. It’s not been all one way. I expected us to get shafted
More than we have. I’m surprised we’ve had a few in our favour.

Quote:
need someone to draw the line to prove it then
his head is the furthest thing forward so the blue line won't go down as far, i think the lines would end up touching each other or falling within the benefit of the doubt margin they introduced
sorry
Like this ?

Unread 04-09-2023, 09:24 AM
Finport Red

Quote:

We’ll have a player formally executed on the half way line at Anfield later in the season to ‘even those 2 things up’.

Unread 04-09-2023, 11:40 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red

I saw City fans pulling the rulebook out to justify that 2nd goal on Saturday citing exactly the same wording that justified Bruno’s goal against them. Of course, our goal was still a huge injustice, theirs is unfortunate but in line with the laws of the game

Unread 04-09-2023, 01:21 PM
pedr0

Quote:

Like this ?

https://x.com/andygoldstein05/status...aSbh7vgQsN2lEQ
no, not like that

Unread 04-09-2023, 04:19 PM
larry

something like this, from his head garnacho is onside or within benefit of the doubt range. he's onside until someone can prove otherwise. also var is £#%&!ing shit and has killed the game. AND SOLSKJAER HAS WON IT... wait are we sure? maybe. VAR CHECK. £#%&! OFF.

Unread 04-09-2023, 05:19 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
something like this, from his head garnacho is onside or within benefit of the doubt range. he's onside until someone can prove otherwise. also var is £#%&!ing shit and has killed the game. AND SOLSKJAER HAS WON IT... wait are we sure? maybe. VAR CHECK. £#%&! OFF.

Yep - you (well I can't) can't goon too much anymore. Didn't when Garnacho scored because you're always weary. It has ruined the game, NQAT.

Unread 04-09-2023, 05:24 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Yep - you (well I can't) can't goon too much anymore. Didn't when Garnacho scored because you're always weary. It has ruined the game, NQAT.
Same. Instead of a ball hitting a net, the goon is reserved for the appearance of a green line. Nope. No thanks. I’d rather have more wrong decisions.

Unread 04-09-2023, 05:37 PM
Coracao

Don't know why we aren't using the same tech as Serie A.